William Bell is a living legend. As a singer and songwriter for Stax records, he had his first hit in 1961. In 2017, he won the Grammy for Best Americana Album. In the intervening 56 years, he's performed on every conceivable stage and his songs have reached every corner of the globe. Though I I've known Mr. Bell's music since childhood, I've collaborated and performed with him in recent years. This conversation is a window into the songs we love and the man himself: his story, his warmth, his humor, and his enormous generosity.
Listen to William Bell's Mix on Spotify:
William Bell's Mix:
1) Sam Cooke, "A Change Is Gonna Come"
2) Soul Stirrers, "Touch the Hem Of His Garment"
3) Bob Dylan, "Blowin In the Wind"
4) Nat King Cole, "Unforgettable"
5) Bob Marley, "One Love"
6) Louis Armstrong, "What a Wonderful World"
7) Willie Nelson, "Always On My Mind"
8) William Bell, "You Don't Miss Your Water"